Skip to main content

Packaging after Finishing Baking

  Low-Temperature Packaging Reducing staling, oxidation, and microbial growth using packaging that is compatible with low temperatures is increasing. In fact, low temperatures stall deteriorative reactions sufficiently so that preservatives are unnecessary. As consumer interest in clean label products increases, packaging that is compatible with freezing temperatures is becoming more common for baked goods. In many instances, baked goods are frozen during distribution and sold at ambient conditions. This allows for an expanded distribution network, little or no product preservatives, and a fresh appearance at retail. For example, donuts by Wenner Bakery have a three-day shelf life after thawing. Extending the shelf life of baked goods such as donuts via cold chain is an effective method of extending shelf life since staling occurs most rapidly at temperatures of 50°F–77°F. Packaging for foodservice bakery products often relies on a cold chain and minimal packaging to extend product...

BUY AMAZON FRESH HERE (may contain affiliate link)

BUY AMAZON FRESH HERE (may contain affiliate link)
Buy Amazon Fresh Here (may contain affiliate link)

FORMING DOUGH KITCHEN STUFF

 


FORMING & PORTIONING

Rolling Pin: This essential tool is used with just about any type of baked good you can imagine — biscuits, scones, pie dough, puff pastry, cutout cookies and even fondant for cake decorating. Needless to say, this is a must-have for any home baker. It can be made out of wood, marble, metal or silicone, with or without handles, and straight or tapered. These specifications are mostly a matter of preference, but a wooden dowel makes for a great all-around rolling pin. And remember, never soak wooden rolling pins in water; instead, wipe with a damp cloth to clean.

Bench or Dough Scraper: As the name implies, a bench scraper is useful for getting any stuck-on messes off your counter, but can also be used for portioning dough. They can be made of either metal or plastic, with plastic being great for getting the last bits of batter or dough out of a bowl.

Mechanical Scoops: These are great for more than just ice cream. Mechanical scoops come in a range of sizes and can be used for getting uniform cookies and perfectly portioning cupcake batter. The key is finding one that's comfortable for you to use, which can mean choosing between one that requires a full-hand squeeze and one that needs just the press of your thumb.

Cookie and Biscuit Cutters: These come in all shapes and sizes — from the basic (squares or stars) to the more elaborate (cars or dinosaurs). If so inclined, you can even start a collection with different shapes to be passed on to future generations along with family recipes. But if you don't want the extra equipment, you can always just use a cup to make circles.


I haven’t bought a loaf of bread for years now. I have bought a lot of bread flour and whole wheat flour and other ingredients. But you can get spoiled pretty quickly to homemade bread.

Some years ago – I have no idea how many – everybody was passing around sourdough starter with a recipe for feeding the starter and making your own bread. I said I didn’t want to do that. I mean I had lots of other things to do. Not make bread. But when Mom and my sisters made some bread and it was pretty good, I thought why not make a couple of loaves. So I got some starter and I’ve been making bread ever since. The sourdough way was easy for me. I could mix it up in the morning, make the dough that night, form the loaves the next morning and bake it whenever it rose sufficiently. None of it took a lot of time and I do love good bread.

There’s something therapeutic about making bread. It can’t be rushed. It has to be kneaded and kneaded some more. It smells divine when it’s baking. That heel sliced off the end when it comes right out of the oven is the best thing ever with a little butter spread on it. It makes great toast. It makes yummy rolls and even yummier cinnamon rolls. That’s a Christmas time treat.

But you can’t just make one loaf of bread or two and expect to have sandwiches forever. You have to keep feeding that starter. Keep mixing in the extra ingredients. Keep baking more bread.

Comments